Under the direction of the Engineering Manager, the Design Engineer is responsible for the support of product, manufacturing, and/or application engineering programs, as required. This support may include, but is not limited to design, prototype generation/coordination and laboratory testing, up to production launch.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
All employees at TLX work to satisfy the customer. Each department has expected core responsibilities, but these responsibilities do not define us. Rather, they simply provide a starting point where we work to satisfy the customer, continuously improve ourselves, others and the organization.
- Responsible for understanding the customer’s technical scope of work and delivering a satisfactory design.
- Analyzes engineering sketches, specifications, data, and/or drawings/models to determine design factors as well as tolerancing.
- Designs for manufacturability
- Participates and/or leads design reviews and records lessons learned.
- Evaluates and approves design changes, specifications and drawing releases to ensure compliance with both internal and external specifications and standards.
- Uses computer assisted design/drafting equipment and software to develop designs.
- Controls drawings, models and other applicable documents.
- Shall utilize and improve TLX engineering tools with the goal of following a consistent process that results in a predictable result. Examples of tools include: Zero Gate, Risk Tool, FMEA, Control Plan, stack-up calculations, DFM, DVP&R, Process Validation and PPAP.
- Responsible for utilizing TLX processes. This includes, but is not limited to; Phase/Gate, Engineering Change Order process, TLX Quality Management System, and program reporting.
- Support sales staff by providing technical data for presentation to customers.
- Interface with other departments within TLX and external customers and suppliers.
- Good mechanical aptitude, and working knowledge of different materials (metals, plastics, etc), as well as coatings/finishes and hardware.
- Good working knowledge of different manufacturing process capabilities; CNC, injection molding, welding, milling, etc.
- Ability to support customer meetings and work directly with customers on design related tasks.
- Ability to manage suppliers as they relate to prototype builds and associated changes/corrections
- Able to design product(s) with input from others on lessons learned / best practices.
- Tends to work on projects, and not programs involving multiple designs and products.
- Participates in Root Cause analysis activities, FMEA’s, Flows, Control Plans, and other Quality activities.
- Understands Cost of Goods (COGS) and how design impacts the material costs and the manufacturing (labor) costs.
- Identifies design constraints and works with internal and external resources to resolve the constraints
Education and/or Experience:
- Bachelor's Degree (BS) from an accredited college or university in an Engineering related field or acceptable type & amount of work experience in a design role
- 3 years design experience
- Basic working knowledge of Microsoft Suite of products; strong working knowledge of Excel
- Demonstrated knowledge of Solid Works or other 3D Modeling software
- Experience with DFMEA, PFMEA, DOE and other AIAG procedures preferred