Under the direction of the Engineering Manager, the Senior Design Engineer is responsible for the support of product, manufacturing, and application engineering programs. This support includes design, prototype generation/coordination and laboratory testing up to production launch.
TLX Technologies is a highly technical, globally minded engineering organization that focuses on solving application challenges and offering excellent solutions to our customers. We provide custom electromechanical solutions to customers in a variety of industries - automotive, off-highway, motorsports, & fire protection. While working with customers with many diverse applications, TLX Technologies focuses on industries that are forward-thinking and innovative.
All full-time employees are eligible for company sponsored benefits after completing the probationary period.
- Health, dental, and vision insurance
- 401k with generous company match
- Company paid Disability Insurance and Term Life coverage
- Paid Holidays and Time off
- Paid Funeral, Jury Duty and Parental Leave
- Tuition Reimbursement
TLX Technologies purposefully hires people with diverse backgrounds and skill sets to form a cohesive team working together to deliver the best solutions for our customers. Honesty, openness, and respect towards each other provides a culture where employees can learn and grow.
- We Make Time for Fun
A variety of company-sponsored events and downtime are scheduled throughout the year to give employees a chance to unwind and connect. We strongly believe that a proper work/life balance is essential to a healthy work environment.
- We Recognize and Reward
TLX employees are recognized for their hard work and contributions. Employees are encouraged to take ownership of their ideas – from design and process improvements to individual goals and community outreach.
- We Engage the Next Generation
We love opening our doors for school tours, college interns, and scholarship recipients. Interns expand their skills while tackling meaningful projects alongside our skilled employees. TLX also funds scholarships to encourage students pursuing careers in engineering or manufacturing.
- We Support Our Community
TLX actively supports the community that we work in. Through employee participation, item donation drives and financial contributions, TLX is able to give back to employee nominated charitable organizations.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
All employees at TLX work to satisfy the customer. Each department has expected core responsibilities, but these responsibilities do not define us. Rather, they simply provide a starting point where we work to satisfy the customer, continuously improve ourselves, others and the organization.
- Responsible for understanding the customer’s technical scope of work and delivering a satisfactory design.
- Analyzes engineering sketches, specifications, data, and/or drawings/models to determine design factors as well as tolerancing.
- Designs for manufacturability
- Participates and/or leads design reviews and records lessons learned.
- Evaluates and approves design changes, specifications and drawing releases to ensure compliance with both internal and external specifications and standards.
- Uses computer assisted design/drafting equipment and software to develop designs.
- Controls drawings, models and other applicable documents.
- Shall utilize and improve TLX engineering tools with the goal of following a consistent process that results in a predictable result. Examples of tools include: Zero Gate, Risk Tool, FMEA, Control Plan, stack-up calculations, DFM, DVP&R, Process Validation and PPAP.
- Responsible for utilizing TLX processes such as Phase/Gate, Engineering Change Order process, and program reporting.
- Supports sales staff by providing technical data for presentation to customers.
- Researches and suggests different manufacturing processes.
- Leads customer meetings.
- Helps in training/mentoring Design Engineers
To perform this job successfully, and individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor's degree in Mechanical or Electrical Engineering or similar field
- 5 years related experience
- Proficient in Microsoft Office, including strong working knowledge of Excel and P
- Good mechanical aptitude, and working knowledge of different materials (metals, plastics, etc.), as well as coatings/finishes and hardware.
- Good working knowledge of different manufacturing process capabilities; CNC, injection molding, welding, milling, etc.
- Ability to support customer meetings and work directly with customers on design related tasks.
- Ability to manage suppliers as they relate to prototype builds and associated changes/corrections
- Ability to handle multiple activities to meet target dates
- Experience in Root Cause analysis activities: FMEA’s, Flows, Control Plans, and other Quality activities.
- Understands Cost of Goods (COGS) and how design impacts the material costs and the manufacturing (labor) costs.
- Identifies design constraints and works with internal and external resources to resolve the constraints
- Experience with DFMEA, PFMEA, DOE and other AIAG procedures
- Demonstrated knowledge of Solid Works or other 3D Modeling software
- Working knowledge of Stage-Gate Process, Six Sigma, Lean Manufacturing, and SPC
- Experience with Ansoft or other Magnetic FEA Software
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to handle, or touch objects, tools, or controls. The employee frequently is required to sit. The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, talk, and/or hear. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 lbs.
The employee works in an office environment where the noise level is quiet. At times, the employee will be required to be on the production floor where the noise level is moderate.